Dr. Shirit Soudry is an Attending Physician in the Ophthalmology Department of the Rambam Health Care Campus, and a faculty member of the Rappaport Faculty of Medicine of the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology.
Dr. Soudry earned her medical degree from the Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, and completed her Ophthalmology residency training at the Tel Aviv Medical Center. She then completed a 2-year advanced Medical/Surgical Retina Fellowship at the Wilmer Eye Institute of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, MD. She carried on to complete another two year Clinical/Research fellowship training in the field of Inherited Retinal Diseases/Retinal Degenerations and Advanced Retina Imaging at the Retina Unit of University of California, San Francisco. She joined the Rambam faculty in 2014.
Dr. Soudry’s clinical expertise includes medical and surgical treatment of retinal diseases, among them age-related macular degeneration (AMD), diabetic retinopathy, retinal vascular occlusions, retinal degenerations, retinal holes and detachments, and other vitreoretinal diseases, for which she utilizes advanced treatment modalities including vitreoretinal surgery and cataract surgery techniques. Dr. Soudry has served as an investigator in multiple past and current large clinical trials, and has extensive experience in conducting clinical research in accordance with international and institutional guidelines. She is actively involved in medical teaching of students and residents.
Dr. Soudry's research interest focuses on processes of protein aggregation and molecular self-assembly in the eye, and their impact on the pathogenesis of retinal and other ocular diseases.
- Mimouni M, Jaouni T, Ben-Yair M, ALmus S, Derman L, Ehrenberg S, Almeida D, Barak Y, Zayit-Soudry S, Averbukh E. Persistent loculated subretinal fluid after rhegmatogenous retinal detachment surgery. Retina 2019;June 22 [Online ahead of print] DOI: 10.1097/IAE.0000000000002565
- Foote KG, De la Huerta I, Gustafson K, Baldwin A, Zayit-Soudry S, Rinella N, Porco T, Roorda A, Duncan JL. Cone spacing correlates with retinal thickness and microperimetry in patients with inherited retinal degenerations. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2019;60(4):1234-43.
- Socea SD, Abualhasan H, Magen O, Zayit-Soudry S, Blumenthal EZ, Duvdevan N, Miouni M. Preoperative anxiety levels and pain during cataract surgery. Curr Eye Res 2019;Sept 18 [Online ahead of print]. DOI: 10.1080/02713683.2019.1666996
- Miller M, Shapira Y, Flores V, Mimouni M, Shibli N, Blumenthal EZ, Zayit-Soudry S. Reducing perceived pain intensity during intravitreal injections by patient handholding. Ophthalmol Retina 2019;3(5):451-3.
- Mtanes K, Mimouni M, Zayit-Soudry S. Laser pointer-induced maculopathy: more than meets the eye. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus 2018;55(5):312-8.
- Chermerovski-Glikman M, Mimouni M, Dagan Y, Haj E, Vainer I, Allon R, Blumenthal EZ, Adler-Abramovich L, Segal D, Gazit E, Zayit-Soudry S. Rosmarinic acid restores complete transparency of sonicated human cataract ex vivo and delays cataract formation in vivo. Sci Rep 2018;8(1):9341.
- Zayit-Soudry S, Vainer I, Zemel E, Mimouni M, Rabena M, Pieramici DJ, Perlman I, Loewenstein A. Infliximab exerts a dose-dependent effect on retinal safety in the albino rabbit. Doc Ophthalmol 2017; 135:175-185.